Tax Relief for Additional Diet Expenses: A Guide for Coeliacs and Diabetics


Tax Relief for Additional Diet Expenses: A Guide for Coeliacs and Diabetics

For individuals with specific dietary requirements due to medical conditions such as coeliac disease or diabetes, there’s a provision for tax relief on certain food products tailored to meet these unique needs. In this post, we’ll walk you through the steps to claim this relief and lighten the financial burden associated with additional diet expenses.

Who is Eligible?

Coeliacs: If you’re diagnosed with coeliac disease and require gluten-free foods that are specially manufactured to be gluten-free, you qualify for this tax relief.

Diabetics: Individuals with diabetes who have a doctor’s recommendation to include specific diabetic products in their diet are also eligible.

The Process: 

To claim tax relief on additional diet expenses, you’ll need to follow these steps:

  1. Obtain a Doctor’s Letter: Your first step is to acquire a letter from your doctor. This letter should state your medical condition (coeliac disease or diabetes) and outline your specific dietary requirements.
  2. Keep Receipts: It’s crucial to retain receipts for all the gluten-free foods or diabetic products you’re claiming relief on. These receipts can be from supermarkets, health stores, and similar shops.
  3. Retailer Statements: Most retailers can provide registered loyalty customers with a statement listing all the specific gluten-free foods they purchased. This can be a valuable document for your claim.

Filing Your Claim:

To include the amount for additional diet expenses in your health expenses for tax relief, you’ll need to complete your tax return form. The detailed process is explained on the ‘How do you claim health expenses?’ page.

Remember, this relief is specifically for those with medically diagnosed dietary needs. Make sure to consult with your doctor to understand your specific requirements and to obtain the necessary documentation.

Get in Touch:

Get in touch with us for more information: